Summer Tomatoes

I had better write this down....or I will NEVER remember it!

Does that ever happen to you with recipes?

I will make something, absolutely love it, and then never make it again because I completely forget that it exists.

I go to the store, trying to plan meals or figure out what 'sounds good' for dinner later that week and I draw a complete blank. I wander the grocery isles, lost in a sea of possibilities.

Generally, I refer to Allrecipes.com whenever I am trying to decide what to cook. I will just enter an ingredient and it gives me tons of options. Also,  I receive their daily email and whenever something looks good, I always save it to my recipe box.

This summer, I have been eating homegrown tomatoes like crazy! They are larapin delicious. (Larapin is a real word. Ahem. According to the Urban hicksville dictionary it refers to "a food that tastes exceptionally good")

When I was a kid, I hated tomatoes. Probably because my mom hated them. Cheeseburger, no onions, no tomatoes. She ordered it that way...so I ordered it that way....I still hate those lame fake tomatoes on sandwiches and burgers....but I have a true taste for homegrown, farmer's market, juicy red tomatoes. mmm-mmm-mmmmmm.

I decided to try a new recipe tonight. I looked on Allrecipes.com for some inspiration. If something looks yummy, I look at the ingredients to make sure that I have every thing and then I read the comments. Inevitably, someone says, "Oh, I tried this, it was delicious, I made a few changes..." and they go on to explain that they changed pretty much everything. Haha. I decided to use what I saw, make the changes and turn it into a NEW recipe. ;-)

Please tell me if you try this too!! I would love to know how it turns out for you! I ate the tomatoes tonight with white rice and a spicy grilled KC strip steak. I will be making these again!



Mozzarella Tomatoes
2 Large tomatoes sliced 1/2" to 1/4" thickness
1 1/2 (approx) tablespoon mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard (or any fancy mustard)
1/2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (or a couple of cloves)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons Parmigiano cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Mix together the mayo, mustard, worchestershire, garlic and oregano in a mixing bowl. Place your tomatoes in a glass casserole dish, greased. Spoon the mixture onto the tomatoes, it doesn't take much for each one. Top with mozzarella cheese.


Place in a hot oven, I used the broiler but you could also bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. I kept them under the boiler for about 5 min. and then turned the pan and baked for an additional 2-3 minutes. Just eye-balling it so that the cheese got bubbly and brown on top. I also sprinkled the top with parsley flakes, for good looks.

No comments: